WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DRY BRUSHING?
Like most beauty trends, there have been some pretty big claims made about body brushing. Die-hard fans swear that 5 minutes a day is all you need for smooth, glowing skin and reduced cellulite. While we’re much more in favour of embracing your soft bits – nothing will get rid of cellulite entirely – regular exfoliation and massage does have its benefits.
The brushing helps remove dead skin cells and ingrown hairs for skin that feels smoother, and massage is said to help boost circulation and stimulate your lymphatic system – the vessels beneath your skin that help the body detoxify. This, its devotees claim, results in everything from glowing skin to an energy boost. And all for a few minutes a day? We think it’s worth a try.
HOW TO USE A DRY BODY BRUSH
• Use your Body Brush on dry skin, before your morning shower.
• Start on the soles of your feet, brushing upward towards your heart in short, firm strokes.
• Move up to your hips and bum, and use circular motions around your tummy and armpits
• Let the brush do the work – pressing too hard may scratch your skin.
• Make sure you avoid any sore, irritated or sunburnt areas.
POST-BRUSHING BODY CARE
After your body brushing, hop in the shower to cleanse away any dead skin cells, and make sure to moisturise well afterwards to soothe skin and replenish moisture. In the morning, try a Body Yogurt. They can be used on wet or dry skin to save time, give 48hr hydration and absorb instantly, so you can get dressed straight away. For dry skin, apply plenty of nourishing Body Butter or Body Oil.
IS YOUR SKIN DEHYDRATED?
Discover the main causes of dehydrated skin and how to treat the common signs of dull, tired, lack lustre skin. If you work in an office, aren’t drinking enough water or love a coffee in the morning, have a little read of this
HOW TO TREAT DRY SKIN
Want quick and easy tips to care for dry skin? We’ve got this! Head over to our dry skin page for all the info and moisture-rich products to help keep dry skin looking its best.
HOW TO DRY BODY BRUSH WITH MEGAN JAYNE CRABBE
Dry body brushing is all about embracing the skin you’re in! Discover how to dry body brush with body confidence blogger Megan Jayne Crabbe.
WHY YOU SHOULD BODY BRUSH
1. It removes dead skin cells and unclogs pores – leaving skin feeling softer and smoother.
2. Massage is said to help boost circulation and stimulate your lymphatic system.
3. Your moisturiser will work better because you will have brushed away dead skin cells.
CAN YOU BODY BRUSH IN THE SHOWER?
You won’t get the full benefits of dry brushing if you do it in the shower. The hot water can dry out your skin and exfoliation won’t be as effective. Yes, it might be chilly for five minutes in your undies, but trust us, it’s worth it.
You’ll need a brush with firm, natural bristles like our Round Body Brush or Cactus Long Handle Brush, to slough away those dead skin cells.
HOW TO DRY BODY BRUSH
1. Get naked or in your undies.
2. Start with the soles of your feet and legs, brushing upwards towards your heart in short, firm strokes – let the brush do the work – don’t press too hard as the bristles might scratch your skin.
3. Use circular motions on your tummy and armpits, instead of short, firm strokes.
4. When you get to your arms, begin at your hands and work the brush upwards.
5. Don’t brush on sore, irritated or sunburnt skin.
POST BRUSHING SKIN CARE
After body brushing, hop in the shower to wash away dead skin cells. After this, moisturise to soothe skin and replenish moisture.
If you’re lacking in time, try a Body Yogurt as they can be used on damp or dry skin, they absorb instantly, and your skin will feel super soft for up to 48hr. If you’ve got dry skin, then our hydrating Body Butters and Body Lotions are the ones for you. @Bodyposipanda opted for the Shea Nourishing Body Butter, which has a warm, nutty scent and indulgently rich butter texture.